Rebels bikies mourn ‘brother’ shot dead

A heavily tattooed man shot dead in the driveway of a western Sydney home had bikie connections and had survived an earlier shooting.


Michael Davey died from his injuries in Stafford Street, Kingswood, in the early hours of Wednesday morning, despite attempts by paramedics to save him.

Mr Davey, aged in his 30s, was believed to be a member of the Rebels Outlaw Motorcycle Gang.

Superintendent Greg Peters would not confirm the bikie links but said that Mr Davey was known to police.

The Sydney chapter of the Rebels offered condolences to his family.

“You will be truly missed brother you were one of a kind. May you ride in the Forever Chapter,” a post on a Facebook page said.

It’s believed the buffed Mr Davey escaped injuries last April during a shooting at a Sydney shopping centre.

Police were scouring Stafford Street in search of the weapon used in the killing, and other clues.

A large kitchen knife was found stabbed into the ground next to a tree in a grassy area near the red-brick home where the shooting occurred, just down the road from the unit block where Mr Davey lived.

Richard Stalling only moved into the home with his partner and four children two weeks ago and they are shocked by the killing just metres from their front door.

While some neighbours reported hearing five or six shots, Mr Stalling said he was woken by the flashing police lights and the sight of a body on his driveway.

“I’d say he ran to try and hide between my car and the fence to be honest and they’ve found him then and there,” he told AAP on Wednesday.

“I could see a body lying there … the victim didn’t scream out or anything it must have happened so quickly, it makes me feel bad because I could have rendered CPR.”

Mr Davey is believed to have been shot in the head and chest.

Friends have paid tribute to the father of one, known as “Micky”, or also as “Ruthless”.

“Rip Micky. You’ve been a massive part of my life and you’ll always be in my heart we were best friends,” his partner Sarah Gerrard wrote on Facebook.

“I’ll never forget the things you’ve done for me and taught me over the years.”

Other friends gathered at the scene expressed their shock at the killing.

“He was a really good guy. I know a lot of people may not think it because of what he was involved in but he was a really genuine guy, an amazing father,” Krystal Lenkova told reporters.

“He’s lived here for a few years so it’s all of a sudden. It’s a massive shock to everybody who knew him, he has a lot of friends.”

Police believe a vehicle was seen leaving the scene a short time after the shooting.